Sunday, June 28, 2009

21st Century Classroom

At the start of our very first Teaching with Technology class, we were asked to draw our future classroom, incorporating any technology we hope to have. I found this to be a very difficult task, stuck in the mindset that a typical classroom would be the same as the classrooms during my high school career, with a few modifications (projection from the computer, rather than using transparencies, etc.). I found myself focusing more on the physical setup of the classroom than on the technology: Do I want desks or tables? Should I set them up in a square for face-to-face discussion, or in traditional rows? Where do I want the teacher's desk?

After listening to my classmates describing the classrooms they hope to have, complete with laptops or computer stations for every student, I felt a little embarrassed about my lack of vision into the 21st century and beyond. Even though I graduated less than a decade ago, technology and society's reliance upon it have changed greatly, and I guess it's time for me to realize it! Universities use websites like CTools all the time, why can't high schools do the same? (They can, of course!)

I know that by the end of the semester, my vision for a technologically-equipped classroom will change substantially. Even after one class I've realized all kinds of things I'd missed out on! I still would like to keep my room relatively simple, but having computers in the classroom for student use creates countless opportunities for instruction. A language lab can be created in-class (without the need to relocate to a separate room), using only the computers and a good set of headphones. As I mentioned in my last post, I would love to use blogging and chats to create different types of discussion and writing practice.

Pen pals from a Spanish speaking country provide an excellent way for students to practice that is more relevant than writing essays in class, and provides feedback from a native speaker...something I can't give my students myself! Technology offers ways to make this happen much more easily than the traditional "pen and paper, foreign mail that takes forever to arrive, if it ever does" variety.

Check back in a month or so, I'm sure I'll have learned about all kinds of excellent technological tools that I can incorporate into my 21st Century classroom! I can't wait...but you're going to have to!

5 comments:

  1. I really like your thoughts about how technology might allow students to complete certain tasks (like the language labs that you mention) in the classroom without having to relocate. Changes like this might translate into additional instruction time (since the logistical move from one place to another would no longer be an issue), and would also allow a teacher to oversee parts of instruction that might otherwise be outsourced to other areas of the building.

    Thanks for getting me thinking about this in a new way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting post, Melanie. You clearly have some ideas for what web-based creation tools or resources could help you to accomplish and, even more importantly, about what you want to try to accomplish more generally for/with your students. I am particularly drawn to your in-class language lab idea. Given the vital importance of speaking and listening in language learning, I think this inclination is a crucial insight. Stay tuned for the upcoming session on podcasting...I think you'll find it to be of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog looks great! I absolutely agree that we all missed out on a lot that could have been a part of our education. You have some great points.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found myself to be very much in the same position as you at the start of this assignment. Like you said, even going through high school a half dozen years ago is a completely different experience than it would be today due to these growths in technology. I thought you had an excellent variety of thoughts with regards to how you want your students to be learning. Some of your ideas definitely have gotten me to think about new ways in which to get through to the various types of students. Thanks for the thoughts and great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your blog is awesome! How did you add all of those pictures? Anyways.. I loved the idea of communicating with Spanish speaking students overseas. You could do a lot with Skype and chatting with your spanish speaking friend. Interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete