Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Outlaw YouTube?

A lot of workplaces these days are filtering the online content their employees are able to access at work, schools included. Although I've spent my fair share of time sitting in front of a computer counting down the hours 'til the end of the workday, I understand why places of business do not want their employees messing around on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. But what if these so-called "time wasters" are actually valuable teaching tools in disguise? We've discussed the merits of using Twitter, wikis, and blogs in the classroom. And we all know how an occasional video can capture students' attention as they start zoning out mid-lecture. (And if a picture is worth a thousand words, how many words is a video worth...??) But doesn't it pose a problem when even the teachers are blocked from accessing these websites?! How do we get around this?

I understand that cyber-bullying is becoming an important issue, but will getting rid of these sites solve the problem? Or will it simply bring bullying back to the playground, as this suggests? (This issue is really a separate blog post....maybe you should keep an eye out for it in coming weeks!)


...if we ban YouTube in the classroom, students miss out on gems like this:



and




Nothing wrong with using a little Justin Timberlake to teach verb conjugation! And it gives me some great ideas for having my students make their own videos.....

11 comments:

  1. OMG! That was amazing! I love them both. Kids would definitely remember the rules too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahaha! i love those videos. They're amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome videos! Though I question the usefulness of Justin Timberlake in all forms. I think it's a question of subverting evil (or time-wasting). Kids will do this stuff. Kids will like this stuff. The question is do we use it, or fight it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally agree, Melanie! Just today during our discussion about medications and discipline, I used the web to look up some additional video clips and resources that were applicable to the topic. I would love it if a student utilized the web to bring more information and perspectives into my classroom! Obviously some monitoring is necessary. But I agree that it can be a very valuable tool if used wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those videos are amazing. It makes me miss the good old days in Spanish class.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! It makes me want to conjugate something :) I really like your idea of having students make videos too. Can't wait to hear what they come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun clips! What you said is right on-- no matter what medium is used there will always be bullying so why keep from having this useful tool in the classroom. Good luck on your MTTC!!!!--Lara

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2 minutes into class and I've already got my answer: http://www.savevid.com

    Thanks Jeff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great finds, Melanie....thanks. If you're creative in this way, there are lots of benefits to be derived from making videos for your students. Of course, you can also reap LOTS of learning benefits from having the students *make* their own videos or podacsts, too. Even the most energetic teacher has limits on her/his time for such things, and it's great to get those kids creating...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the videos Melanie. Cool stuff. In the school district where my children go to school, YouTube is screened, as are a number of other sites, so students are really limited in what they can use on the Web. As a parent and future teacher, I'm a bit torn on how I feel about having broad access to the Web in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie, I agree with what you've said. Many people are weary of websites such as Twitter, facebook etc because they can easily be distractions, but also can be used in a positive way. It is a balancing act however and it is going to be quite a challenge!

    ReplyDelete